Aquajoy offer a Legionella Assessment service, contact us for more details.
What is Legionella?
- A naturally occurring bacteria
- Found in rivers, lakes, ponds and mains water
- Also found in man made systems such as cooling towers, hot tubs, spa baths, showers, jacuzzi's, CWT's etc.
- It thrives in warm water conditions between 20 - 45°C
- Thin rod shape bacteria
- Mobile - Has a tail and can swim
- Multiplies on plant surfaces
- Over 40 Species
- Great Survivor
- Causes Legionanaries Desease, Pontiac Fever and Lochgoilhead Fever
Requirements for Growth?
- Optimum temperature range of 20 - 45°C
- Food source - other bacteria, sediments such as rust and scale, bio film, algae and sludge
- Incubation 2 - 10 & can be fatal
- Invades the lung - hence pneumonia (respiratory conditions)
- Other organs can also be affected leading to failure
- Responsive to correct antibiotics
- A full recovery is not always achievable - can leave with life changing ailments
Aquajoy have attended a Legionella awareness course, to see our certificates click here.
|Copyright Aquajoy Water Gardens Ltd|